Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The Little Mermaid and some other whatnots

An officemate and I were laughing our throat out a while ago and it started with her noticing my skin. My skin, except from my facial skin, is naturally shiny. I don't know why, but it has always been like this. She told me that maybe I should go to a dermatologist for this to be checked. I told her that there is no need because it is with my genes. Why? It's because I used to be a mermaid. And then we laughed with this silly explanation. Thanks to Misterhubs, 'Part of your World' will be the office soundtrack for the rest of the week.

And then I asked her, what if you were given a choice, choice is: to work in this company or be a mermaid. Officemate said, she'll just work and get paid rather than be a mermaid, because mermaids don't have sex lives. Mermaids have fish tails and no sex lives. Ok, it took me a while to get her explanation. It was so silly that I wasn't able to grasp the idea with the normal speed I have for these things. But, she is quite right, I have to agree with her.

When I was younger, my younger sister and I was so fond of Disney's 'The Little Mermaid'. I remember her 12th Birthday, she was in an Ariel costume and everyone else was trying to mimic the party's theme. I was the Prince Charming (whatever that character's name was). No, I didn't want to be the mermaid back then, I was happy to be the prince. Back then, I wished that when I grow up, I'll be a tall, toned, bronzed, hairy and princely somebody. That was back then. Nowadays, obviously, all I want are those tall, toned, bronzed, hairy and princely men. hehe. It's really true that the only permanent thing in this world is change.

So, on with change. Being the only permanent thing in this world, the only key that we have to survive is to accept, accept whatever the changes might bring. Growing up, I always picture myself as a leaf. A leaf would never want to be separated from its tree, but there would be a time when the leaf has to go. The wind or whatever might bring the leaf to a foreign place, so foreign the leaf's only option is to accept.

6 comments:

Coldman said...

leaf talaga? nice one!

Anonymous said...

U should watch Aquamarine and u'll probably change ur mind. HeHe. Kidding. Pero seriously, masaya panoorin yun. Pampalipas oras.

Diyed said...

Finally! you posted a blog with extra character on it... Mabuhay ka filipa.. ke-dahon man yan o ekeke! panalo ang shifting ng 1st two paragraphs mo sa 3rd. hahah! go girl!

philippe said...

coldman: yeah, i am a leaf. but i used to be a pencil, a girl who grows trees on her hands and a metamorphosed bug.Ü

reyville: i have seen aquamarine with anna abello! i fell asleep while watching.heheÜ

diyed: really? hehe. reminder: this is a theatre of a drama queen.Ü

ciao!Ü

ruff nurse-du-jour said...

Yeah philippe this is a very nicey nicey post. So full of character. So you. =)

I love Little Mermaid too, but in case I’d given an opportunity to chose between what you’ve listed, I don’t want to be a mermaid for that matter, as (1) I hate saltwater, it ruins my hair, (2) there are no goodlooking mermans, or are there (?), and (3) I second the motion of your officemate. =) (As if that’ll happen right?)

A leaf, no matter how strong it might cling to the tree, will always land to a place where it truly belong. =)

Anonymous said...

ehem.. enuf said. but hey, i wanted to be a mermaid way back pony-tail days. too bad, it did not happen. poor me.. :(

i guess i would just let my fings fly nalang like a pink fairy. ahihihhi..